Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Farewell, Gilligan.

When I was a kid, "Gilligan's Island" was one of my favourite t.v. shows. Every day, after school, I'd plunk my arse down in front of the tube to follow the misadventures of seven stranded castaways who originally went for a 3-hour tour, only to wind up on an uncharted desert isle. I never got tired from watching all those shenanigans that ensued while attempting to find their way off the tropical paradise.

Some people say that the sitcom was the inspiration for "Lost", but I digress... "Survivor" has nothing on these silly, poor old souls. Plus, it made me laugh a lot.

Bob Denver - no relation to the one who sang the soft rock hits "Sunshine" and "Rocky Mountain High" - played the namesake first mate on the series. Now he can join his fellow cast mates Alan Hale ("the skipper") and Jim Backus ("the Millionaire" - he also voiced the legendary cartoon character "Mr. Magoo") in t.v. rerun heaven.

Don't forget your hat, Little Buddy.

No comments: