Thursday, September 30, 2004

RBC - Rainbow Bankers Collective?

The Canada Free Press was revealed to me via a topic in the Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler site. Obviously conservative (just like the Toronto Sun, just a little more fundamental), the Free Press offers news like this one.

I mean... isn't showing respect to people who are either gay, lesbian or transgendered a given in today's society? Are these people no less different than those who are hetero?

By implementing something like a "Safe Space" concept, doesn't that make these people a little more "special" than others?

When I sign off with "Respect Everywhere" in my e-mails, I'm indicating that everyone deserves respect, that no person is no more special than the next.

To all you homoes: YOU'RE NOT THAT "SPECIAL"! LEAVE THE CLOSET AT HOME AND JOIN THE REST OF THE HUMAN RACE!

Sheesh... if you guys want special rights, maybe we single 40-something hetero men should get some as well.

There's nothing else to say but...

NEXT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with some, if not all, of your sentiment. As an RBC employee who has already made a decision not to display the triangle, I'm more concerned about the discrimination the program will create than the discrimination it aims to stamp out. To display a sticker at one's workstation is a fairly clear gesture. Not displaying one isn't so clear, however, and idle speculation of co-workers as to why their colleague(s) haven't chosen to opt in could, and no doubt will, turn this into a source of gossip or, worse, retaliation.

Secondly, if you're going to celebrate diversity -- and believe me, I'm all for diversity in all its forms, don't get me wrong there -- that would entail celebrating more than one minority group. Where are the stickers celebrating aboriginal workers? Physically handicapped workers? Workers of visible minorities? These are groups that are surely encompassed by the bank's core values that partly inspired this program, yet one group is singled out as though aristocracy among minority groups.

That being said, the program hasn't reached my particular department yet, but I'm waiting to see what the outcome will be upon my declination to participate.